Good oral health is important for general health, well-being and quality of life. Good oral health becomes absolutely imperative in old age as pain and difficulty with eating can lead to poor levels of nutrition, thus leading to poor health. ‘Prevention is better than cure’. So, here are some preventive measures for elderly to keep oral problems at bay, brought to you by Ridgetop Dental International Pvt Ltd, the leading centre for dental care and dental implants in Bangalore.
Common dental problems of old age
With old age, our body suffers wear and tear and our teeth are no exception. Here are some of the common problems that mostly trouble elderly people.
- Darkened teeth: It is caused due to changes in dentin (the bone-like tissue that underlies the tooth enamel).
- Root decay. This is caused by exposure of the tooth root to decay-causing acids. The tooth roots become exposed as gum tissue recedes from the tooth.
- Gum disease. Caused by plaque and made worse by food left in teeth, use of tobacco products, poor-fitting bridges and dentures.
- Tooth loss: Mainly caused due to gum diseases.
Common myths about old age and dental problems
- Tooth loss is an inevitable part of the normal ageing process.
- All old people suffer from severe gum disease.
- A dry mouth is normal part of growing old.
Tips for prevention of dental problems
- Maintain a good oral hygiene. Doing so will not just keep your teeth clean but will also, prevent dental problems.
- Avoid eating sugary, sticky and acidic foods and drinks between meals.
- Eat a wide variety of nutritious food.
- Visit a good dental clinic like Jayanagar dental clinic for regular check-ups. Experienced dentists can spot and stop any problems with the teeth and gums at early stages.
Dental problems though most prominent in elderly people, can affect people of all ages. Therefore, no matter what your age, it is important to take good care of your teeth and gums and visit a good dental clinic like Ridgetop Dental International Pvt Ltd, regularly to maintain a beautiful smile forever.
Ridgetop Dental International Pvt Ltd offers the best dental treatments such as-cosmetic dentistry, dental implants, root canal treatment in Bangalore.
To know more, visit-http://www.ridgetopdental.in/